In the early 19th century, New Harmony, Indiana, situated on the Wabash River in southwestern Indiana, was home to two Utopian communities: Harmonie (1814-1824), established by Johann Georg Rapp, and New Harmony (1825-1827), established by Robert Owen. The latter community, known for its intellectual climate, was home to scientists, social reformers, and educators, such as William Maclure, Marie Duclos Fretageot, Thomas Say, Robert Dale Owen, and David Dale Owen. This collection contains correspondence from individuals associated with the town, business and legal papers, journals from Robert Dale Owen and Mary Jane Robinson Owen, records relating to sale of Harmonie from Johann Georg Rapp to Robert Owen, and minutes from the Proceedings of the Preliminary Society and the Minutes of the Convention for Forming a Constitution for the Society at New Harmony, written between November 1825 and February 1826.
The New Harmony Collections is a combination of two collections: New Harmony Manuscripts, 1812-1871 and the Roger D. Branigin-Kenneth Dale Owen Collection, 1825-1896, (bulk 1825-1859). The original collections, both located at the Working Men’s Institute in New Harmony, Indiana, were digitized with LSTA grant funds by Indiana University in 2008 and 2009 and are housed on the Archives Online at Indiana University. Metadata created from the Working Men’s Institute’s Finding Aid, along with additional research done by Stephanie Riley.