Scanned negative (2-7/8"x 4-7/8"), 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 800 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250
Madison- Jefferson County Public Library
2 additional negatives available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: The original building at Mulberry and Main was built in the 1850s. In 1861 George Benson, the owner at the time, sold the building to James Hargan who operated a wholesale grocery business there with his son George. Greenville Johnson was taken into the operation in 1898 when James Hargan died and the firm became known as Hargan and Johnson Wholesale Grocery Company. In 1906 the business was destroyed by fire. After rebuilding, the company was sold to George Cofield and Will Barber, operating as Cofield and Barber Wholesale Grocery Company. The business was incorporated April 15, 1908. The building is a three story brick with a basement and measures 30 x 165 feet. Mr. Cofield retired in the early 1940s and Will Barber assumed full ownership. In the late 1940s, the W.A. Barber Grocery Company moved to North Madison. The building then was leased to the Singer Sewing Machine Company. Singer remained in this building until 1962, when it relocated to 115 West Main Street. It remained there through 1978. In 1975 the name was changed to Madison Sewing Center-Authorized Singer Dealer. In 1979 the dealership was relocated to 104 East Main Street, where it remained through 1983. It was again moved, this time to 2536 Michigan Road. Three years later the business was moved back downtown to 324 West Main Street. There is no record of an authorized Singer dealer in Madison after 1988. After Singer left it, the building at 137-139 East Main became Bula's, a ladies' apparel shop, and is today Marianne's. Sources: City Directories; Madison Courier; Madison Daily Herald; Louis Decar