Scanned negative (2-7/8" x 4 7/8"), 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 1000 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
1 other negative and 1 print available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Addtional information: This building was a former high school from 1878 to 1907 at which time it became a grammar school from 1907 to 1918. In 1918 it became a junior high school and was used as such until 1928, when it was sold for private use. In the 1939 city directory it is listed as The Madison Recreation Center. The Monday, December 24, 1945 Madison Courier states, "Dell Steigerwald, whose newly constructed bowling lanes were destroyed Saturday night when fire gutted the old Junior High school building, announced today that he intends to raze the remaining shell of the old landmark and construct a new building with eight modern alleys." The directory of 1947 lists it as Stiegerwald Bowling Alley. That bowling alley also burned, according to the Madison Courier. Later directories give no specific information on uses of the building but it was evidently used mostly for storage. The present building on the site is made of what appears to be painted cinder block and is now empty and owned by the city of Madison. Sources: City Directories; Madison Courier; Historical Files